With Renegade Plant-Based Smoked Meats
½ Cup Warm Water
1 Teaspoon Dark Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
Easy Red Sauce:
¾ Cup Tomato Sauce
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
¼ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
¼ Teaspoon Salt
4 - 6 Ounces Shredded Vegan Mozzarella Cheese, Divided
1 Ounce Renegade Spicy Chorizo, Thinly Sliced
1 Ounce Renegade Smoky Salami Soppressata, Thinly Sliced
1 Ounce Renegade Sweet Salami Toscana, Thinly Sliced
¼ Small Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
¼ Pound Cremini or Button Mushrooms, Sliced
¼ Green Bell Pepper, Seeded, Sliced, and Cut into 1-inch Lengths
¼ Cup Sliced Black Olives
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Minced
1) Place the warm water, brown sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix lightly to combine and allow about 10 minutes for the yeast to reactivate and become frothy.
2) Incorporate the oil before adding the flour and salt. Mix thoroughly to combine. Use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to knead for about 10 minutes, or by hand for closer to 15, until the dough is smooth and elastic, but still slightly sticky.
3) Transfer to a clean bowl and lightly grease. Cover, place in a warm, draft-free place, and let rise until doubled in volume; 1 - 1 ½ hours.
4) Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by mixing together all the ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. Get the toppings ready to go and set aside.
5) Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and lightly grease a pizza stone or sheet pan.
6) Once risen, turn the dough out onto your prepared pan. Use your hands to stretch it out towards the edges in an even circle about 14-inches in diameter. If it begins to fight you and starts shrinking back before you reach the full size, let it rest for 15 minutes before giving it a final pull. Leave a thicker ring of dough around the edges to form the crust
7) Bake the pizza on the lower oven rack until it looks dry on top but is not yet fully baked; about 8 - 10 minutes.
8) Remove from the oven and spread the sauce on top, leaving a ½-inch border around the edge clear. Sprinkle about 2/3rds of the cheese evenly over the sauce, and then equally distribute the sliced Soppressata, Toscana, Chorizo, sliced onion, mushrooms, pepper, and remaining cheese on top.
9) Bake on the upper oven rack for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, until the crust is crisp and the cheese has melted. Broil on high for a final 5 minutes to get a bit of golden-brown color on the surface.
10) Let cool for just a few minutes before topping with sliced olives and fresh parsley. Slice and serving while piping hot.
Makes 6 – 8 Servings
To simplify this recipe, start with 16 ounces of prepared pizza dough, available in the deli section of most supermarkets, and use ¾ cup of ready-made pizza sauce. Skip straight to step #5 for assembly and baking.
Leftover pizza can be wrapped in foil and stored in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat slices in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat. Cook until the cheese has melted and crust is crispy; about 3 – 5 minutes.
For a Supreme Hawaiian Pizza, add ½ cup finely diced pineapple on top after baking and omit the olives.