With Renegade Sweet Toscana
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Shallots, Finely Diced
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 Ounces Renegade Sweet Salami Toscana, Thinly Sliced and Cut into Strips
2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
1 Teaspoon White Miso Paste
½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 ½ Cups Unsweetened, Plain Non-Dairy Milk
8 Ounces Fettuccini, Spaghetti, or Pappardelle Pasta, Cooked Al Dente
1 Cup Frozen Peas, Thawed
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Finely Minced
1) Place a medium skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
2) When the pan is hot and the oil shimmering, add the shallots and garlic. Sauté until softened, lightly golden, and highly aromatic. Add the salami and continue to cook until crisp; about 4 – 5 minutes.
3) Sprinkle the flour and nutritional yeast evenly over the contents of the pan. Stir to incorporate and cook for two minutes to lightly toast the flour. Add the miso and pepper before slowly pouring in the non-dairy milk. Whisk continuously to prevent lumps from forming, adding just a little liquid at a time, allowing it to blend in and thicken as you go.
4) Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for just 4 -5 more minutes, bringing the sauce to the brink of a boil.
5) To assemble, add the cooked pasta and peas into the skillet. Toss to thoroughly coat with the sauce.
6) Transfer to bowls or plates and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Enjoy right away, while hot!
Makes 3 – 4 Servings
To turn this into stovetop mac and cheese, use vegan butter instead of olive oil, add ½ cup nutritional yeast, and use elbows instead of a long pasta shape.