FRIED POLENTA CAKES
With Renegade Spicy Chorizo
4 as a main dish or 8-10 as a side dish
1 Package Renegade Chorizo
2 1 Pound Log Store-Bought Cooked Polenta Red Pepper Flakes
1 Medium Red Onion (Diced)
1 Red Bell Pepper (Diced)
3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
Spanish Olives (Diced, Optional)
1) In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced red onion and cook 3-4 minutes, until lightly charred. Add minced red pepper and cook an additional minute before turning off heat and setting aside.
2) Trim the round ends off the polenta. Cut the log into approximately 8 rounds. Season with sea salt and then add to a generously oiled large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown and then flip. Cook an additional 4-5 minutes until browned on both sides. Set aside.
3) Thinly slice chorizo and sear briefly on each side on a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, approximately 20 seconds on each side.
4) Place 2-3 slices of chorizo on each polenta cake and then add a spoonful of the minced onion and pepper on top. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes, chopped parsley and diced Spanish olives (optional).
Wine and Beer Pairings:
1) Young red wines that are light-bodied and fruity balance nicely with the spice from the chorizo. We recommend a Russian River pinot noir or an Italian Barbera.
2) Chorizo and lager is the classic pairing of sweet and spicy. We like Trumer Brauerei and Bierstadt Lagerhaus.Cheers,Renegade Team